Education in UK
Add school to
Staffordshire University

Last modified:
American InterContinental University - London
The Norton Knatchbull School - Ashford
Gossops Green Community Primary School - Gossops Green
Great Ballard School - Chichester
Georgian Gardens Community Primary School - Rustington
Fordwater School - Chichester
Fonthill Lodge School - East Grinstead
Fairway Infant School - Copthorne
Elm Grove Infant School - Littlehampton
Elm Grove First School - Worthing
Yew Tree Primary School - Yew Tree Estate
Yew Tree Community Primary School - Aston
Woodway Park School & Community College - Coventry
Woodthorpe Primary School - Kings Heath
Woodrush Community High School - Specialist Technology College - Birmingham
Woodlands Primary School - Willenhall
Woodfield Infant School - Penn
Wood Green High School College of Sport - Wood Green Road
Wolverhampton Grammar School - Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton Girls High School - Wolverhampton
Wollescote Primary School - Wollescote
Wodensfield Primary School - Wednesfield
Wodensborough Community Technology College - Wednesbury
Withymoor Primary School - Off Turners Lane Quarry Bank
Willenhall School Sports College - Willenhall
Whitehouse Common Primary School - Sutton Coldfield
Edward Bryant Primary School - Bognor Regis
Eastergate C E Primary School - Eastergate
West House School - Edgbaston
East Wittering Community Primary School - East Wittering
Welford Primary School - Handsworth
East Preston Junior School - East Preston
Wednesfield Village Primary School - Wednesfield
East Preston Infant School - East Preston
Wednesfield College (Specialist Engineering School) - Wednesfield
Durrington Middle School - Durrington
Ward End Primary School - Ward End
Walsgrave C E Primary School - Coventry
Durrington First School - Durrington

Priory Primary School
Priory Road, HU5 5RU, UK Kingston upon Hull
+44 (0)1482 509631

About Us

Priory Primary School was opened on the 18th April 1939 with accommodation for 400 children aged between 5 and 11 years. On the first day 128 children were admitted to the school.

On the 6th September 1949 the school was divided into Infants and Juniors, however, due to the delay in providing more accommodation all the children had to be housed in the existing buildings. Out of a total of 531 children there were 297 Infants and 234 Juniors.

The new Junior School building was opened on 20th February 1950 with 240 Juniors and 348 children in the Infants Department.

By September 1964 the number on roll had dropped to 116 and only four classrooms were being used. The reason for this reduction was that when the school was first opened the area was newly built up and young families occupied the housing estate. The majority of these families were still living in the area and their children had grown beyond our school age.

Photograph shows Deputy Head teacher Mrs. B. Walker
February 1965 saw two new corporation housing estates being built in the area and pupils at school increased by 29 and by September there were 6 classrooms in use. The number of children on roll increased from 116 to 177 with children recently admitted coming from 22 different schools.

September 1969 and the name of the School changed from 'Infants' to 'Primary' and the age range changed from 5 to 9 years. The accommodation of 8 classrooms catered for 320 children.

In September 1983 a reception class was established and children aged 4 years were taken into the school for the first time.

During 1988 schools were reorganised and Priory Primary took children aged between 4 years and 11 years with a maximum of just under 300 children.

1989 saw the school celebrating 50 years and each child at the school was presented with a mug to keep as a memento of the occasion. In December 1998 the school had its roof replaced and a new boiler system fitted.

Following the closure of our neighbouring buildings as a Special School, Priory Primary were allocated several rooms in the building now known as the Priory Centre. Starting in September 2000 three year 5/6 classes occupied three renovated classrooms. These facilities are spacious and a vast improvement on the two mobile classrooms. We also occupied a special needs room, music room and a medical room.

Photograph shows Chair of Governors Mr. A. Hesp presenting an award.
Information Technology now playing a large part of our education system, 2001 saw the setting up of a new computer suite in the school housing fifteen computers together with projector and large screen. The suite is being used to capacity with all classes having lessons in the suite, a computer club, after school projects as well as evening classes.

March 2002 saw the removal of one of the mobile classrooms from the school site and renovation of the second mobile classroom for use by a playgroup.

In 2003 every classroom in the school was fitted with a projector as a teaching aid. Each projector is connected to a computer which has access to the school network and the internet. During the 2004 summer holidays each classroom was fitted with an Interactive Whiteboard.

Photograph shows Mrs. S. Baynes the School Administration Officer.
In 2005 every child in the school became entitled to a free breakfast and a free mid-day meal paid for by the local authority.

The Butterflies nursery became well established during 2005 and in January 2006 a new portable building was erected in the school grounds enabling the group to increase its intake.

Photograph shows the new building being lifted into place by a mobile crane.
Mr. Graham Wilson (Photograph) left the school at the end of August 2006 after 12 years as Head Teacher. Mr. Wilson was replaced by Miss. C. Smith as Head Teacher from 1st September 2006.

Mrs, Jean Taylor also left the school to retirement after 28 years. Mrs, Taylor looked after the office and saw to the needs of all the children as well as many other tasks.


The City of Kingston upon Hull with a population of 240,000 lies on the River Humber midway along the East Coast of the United Kingdom.

Hull as it is known locally, was one of the main fishing ports of the United Kingdom and the surrounding areas are mainly agricultural. British Aerospace and British Petroleum are two of the main employers in our area along with Reckitt & Colman and Smith & Nephew, Pharmaceutical Companies.

A famous feature of the area is the Humber Bridge, completed in 1981, with a single centre span of 1,410-m (4,626-ft) making it one of the largest bridges in the world.

Photograph shows the Humber Bridge.
Hull is a seaport with Ferry links to Rotterdam and other European Ports as well as links to the National Rail and Motorway networks. The City is also served by an Airport some 12 miles away.

There are several Museums in the City centering on William Wilberforce, born in Hull, famous in relation to the abolition of slavery, The Town Docks Museum and the Transport Museum.

Photograph shows the City Hall.
The Deep, The Worlds only Submarium opened on the 23 March 2002 and is attracting visitors from all over the world.

Photograph shows The Deep
Nearby Beverley is the home St Marys Church with the White Rabbit that inspired Lewis Carrol to write Alice in Wonderland and the beautiful slim twin towered Beverley Minster.

Photograph shows Beverley Minster at night.



primary schools in Kingston upon Hull, secondary schools in Kingston upon Hull, schools in Kingston upon Hull

Editorial office:
tel. + 48 (094)