Swingate was opened in 1972 as a primary school with 130 pupils. The school grew rapidly over the next seven years and in 1979 a new Junior school was completed and two separate reorganised schools were established on the site.
Swingate Infant School has continued to grow and in 1992 four additional classrooms and a second hall were added to the original building.
The school at present has nine classes and one nursery, all of which have an opportunity to work in a fully equipped ICT suite. Swingate employs a range of staff to educate the 208 pupils presently on role. Each member of the school community is striving to develop an ethos where all individuals are able to:
- achieve their potential both socially and academically through well structured aims and policies
- give and receive sympathy, tolerance and respect
- express views and opinions to influence the corporate well being of the community
- develop skills and abilities to raise personal achievements
- develop perceptions, generate ideas and feelings and ultimately help the school community to grow self confidence.
By providing a stimulating environment, a rich and varied curriculum and a committed staff it is hoped that all members of the school community will develop, thrive and eventually become informed well adjusted members of society.