St Patrick’s High School was opened in 1970 to serve the post primary needs of the three parishes of Derrynoose (including Keady, Madden), Cill Chluana (Ballymacnab, Granemore and Clady) and Tynan (including Middletown). De La Salle Brothers were the first Principals of the school, so continuing the great tradition of the De La Salle Order in the area. The school maintains affinity with De La Salle aims and our school motto ‘Signum Fidei’ (Sign of Faith) is shared by all De La Salle schools. The tradition of involvement of religious orders has been unbroken in the school and there are close links with both the St Clare and St Louis Orders.
The school has grown dramatically since 1970 when it had 450 pupils and 22 teachers to its present enrolment of 1023 pupils (including 156 Sixth Form pupils) and 67 teachers. In September 1999 we moved into a completely new purpose built school with the most up-to-date facilities in Ireland which include a 500 square metres Sports Hall, gymnasium/assembly hall, Sixth Form Suite, pavilions for Careers, Music and Drama, Lecture Theatre, Oratory and purpose-built accommodation for all Areas of Study and excellent outdoor facilities.
St Patrick’s High School’s special status (recognised by the Department of Education in 1978) is that it is a non-selective, co-educational 11-18 school. It does away with the outdated separation of pupils at 11+ and teaches boys and girls of all abilities, from the high academic achiever to the child with learning difficulties.
The school aims to provide children with a secure, caring, Christian and happy environment where high standards of learning, discipline and personal integrity can be achieved, and where all pupils are given opportunities to develop their mental and physical, moral and social ability.